Do you like movies?
Not the kind you can download onto your smartphone or laptop, but the kind that are in a large screen, darkened movie theater with a big ol' trough of popcorn.
I'm going out on a limb here to say, that when movie makers toil away at the tiniest details they would prefer we watch them on the biggest screen possible--Just sayin'.
Well, I love them (movies). There's nothing I would rather do all day than work, but watching great movies all day would be a very close runner up.
If I can get my favorite movie houses to serve this little ditty while I'm enjoying the magical moving pictures, I may quit my job.
MAKES 2 QUARTS
- 3 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease, or non flavored vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup Jack Daniels
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup peanuts
- 3 pieces pancetta, baked until crispy and minced
- Place the bacon grease in a 3 quart dutch oven with a lid. Add the kernels and place the covered pot over high heat. Once the popping begins, gently shake the pot to keep the kernels from burning. Once it is done remove the lid and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In another small pot add the Jack Daniels and heat it to burn off the alcohol and reduce it by half. Add the syrup and butter and heat until the butter is melted. Season with fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Place the popcorn, peanuts and the pancetta into a large mixing bowl. You want to sprinkle a little of the syrup over the corn a little at a time. You want to stir as you do this. Take your time otherwise the corn will saturate with syrup and collapse and just be gooey.
- Once it is coated put it on a sheet tray and spread it out. Then place it in the oven and back in for 20 to 40 minutes. Sometimes it takes longer to crisp that others so just check it and stir it around about every ten minutes.