Small room style can be grand!
Here are a few simple things you can do to make a small room look and feel larger.
1) Paint walls and ceiling all the same color. This creates a sense of uniformity and helps to not break up a room as much, which leads to a feeling of a larger space. Also, darker colors actually can make a small room seem larger. Don't be afraid to follow your darker wall color choice up to the ceiling. I know, this is a tough one to take on. There's doubt. Trust me, you will love it. It eliminates the color line separation that happens where the wall meets the ceiling, which allows for a more seamless environment.
2) Hang your curtains from floor to ceiling. It gives the appearance of a higher ceiling and a larger window. Also, take the rod at least 8''-10'' beyond the end of the window frame on either side, if you have the room. This also creates the illusion of a larger window area. The drapes framing the window make the window seem like it extends beyond where the frame ends.
3) Add one large piece of furniture. A large armoire for storage. A long narrow table along a wall as a place to set the TV, or create a display/bar area. This helps in making a small room be seen as a larger one would be.
4) Fill a wall. If you can spare the wall space, fill a wall (floor to ceiling) with artwork OR as large a mirror as possible. It gives the illusion of a grand space.
5) Light it up. If you have natural light coming in, don't mess with it. If you need a little help in this area, make sure and light the room evenly on all sides. Use light sources at the same level in every corner.
6) Use rounded edges. This helps eliminate a small rooms boxy feel and creates a more airy and inviting space.
Have a swell weekend, kids!